In Pennsylvania, a Driving Under the Influence (“DUI”) violation can carry the following penalties upon conviction:
- a criminal record,
- mandatory jail time followed by parole,
- driver’s license suspension,
- fines in the thousands of dollars, and
- the use of an ignition interlock device on your vehicle at your expense.
Download DUI Sentencing Guidelines (PDF).
BEFORE you consider pleading guilty to a DUI, you should have a trained criminal trial lawyer review the facts of your case, because DUI charges can be challenged in a variety of ways, including:
- unconstitutional actions by the police — an illegal arrest or improper traffic stop will result in a suppression of the evidence,
- failure to prove that the defendant was driving the vehicle or when it was driven,
- failure to follow the proper procedures in collecting and testing evidence,
- improper use of the Standard Field Sobriety Tests, and
- inconclusive or improperly stored blood/breath tests.
You may also bypass traditional prosecution and maybe even avoid a conviction or jail time altogether if we can help you gain admission into an applicable treatment or other program.
The video on the right will give you a good idea of what we can do for you.